RE: Unicode and Security

From: Christopher J Fynn (cfynn@druknet.net.bt)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 07:33:23 EST

Gaspar Sinai wrote:
> I am thinking about electronically signed Unicode text documents
> that are rendered correctly or believeed to be rendered correctly,
> still they look different, seem to contain additional or do not
> seem to contain some text when viewed with different viewers due
> to some ambiguities inherent in the standard.

This sounds like a rendering (application) issue not a character encoding
(unicode) issue. If the applicaton or operating environment doesn't properly
support complex script rendering (and / or if the client doesn't have the
right fonts installed) then text in complex scripts might be rendered
incorrectly - or not at all. Chances are such text would either be
nonsensical, look like gobbledegook, or display as string of empty boxes
indicating missing glyphs. Would you sign something like that?

Can you give an example of some text or document a person might be fooled
into signing that would mean one thing if rendered correctly and something
entirely different when rendered incorrectly?

- Chris