RE: Unicode and Security

From: Miikka-Markus Alhonen (Miikka-Markus.Alhonen@tigatieto.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 10:37:54 EST

On 11-Feb-02 Carl W. Brown wrote:
> We can go back to the typewriter days when there was no.t difference between
> 1 & l or 0 & O. Do. you blame ASCII if you type "ST0P" instead of "STOP"?

Confusion between l and 1 has found its path into the most recent Unihan
database, too: kMandarin for U+7DD3 is YINGl and not YING1. Maybe unifying
numbers and letters wouldn't be such a bad idea after all :)

Is it already too late to make changes to UCD 3.2? I also found out that
kIRG_KSource of U+6B06, i.e. a normative field, has the value 7-3D7B, which was
2-3D7B still in UCD 3.1. Since there are only five South Korean sources all
together (0-4), the present one is probably erroneous. Maybe numbers two and
seven should be unified as well? In very fast handwriting they might indeed
look the same :)

--
Miikka-Markus Alhonen