Re: This spoofing and security thread

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 13:33:59 EST

On 02/11/2002 04:22:51 AM Michael Everson wrote:

>> > it would be a good idea for Unicode to provide some character
>>properties that could help an implementation reduce spoofing.
>
>Like what? A set of rules that says "one of these things is not like
>the others"? How are you going to tell which letters belong? Visual
>comparison of what is in the charts? Those images aren't normative.
>
>Myanmar letter WA! Digit 0! Wait! Look! There's a Canadian Syllabics
>letter that looks just like the letter L! What other superficial
>glyph similarities can we find? What happens when we change fonts?

Add to what Michael has said that glyph shapes are subject to the whims of
interpretation of font designers. You might not think that some pair of
characters might be confused until you encounter some font that
incorporates designs that, 20 years from now, may be ubiquitous.

>This thread is a colossal waste of time. If somebody wants to type my
>surname with Cyrillic characters in it there is nothing I can do
>about it, and trying to prevent it is not only impossible but it's
>nonsensical. If there is a problem, it isn't Unicode's.

I quite agree.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>