Re: This spoofing and security thread

From: Thomas Chan (thomas@datexx.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 11:23:58 EST

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Michael Everson wrote:

> At 18:37 +0000 2002-02-11, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > - a cross-reference of characters whose associated glyphs are
> > identical, whatever the font (applies to symbols and ``modifier
> > letters'');
>
> But the letter b isn't identical from font to font in Latin.

(piggybacking on your message, Michael)

Nor U+0061 LATIN SMALL LETTER A, which sometimes looks like U+0251
LATIN SMALL LETTER ALPHA, and sometimes doesn't.

> > - a cross-reference of characters whose associated glyphs could be
> > confused by a non-technical user;
>
> Out of the entire standard? Who's going to do that for free? :-)

And where would the data come from? :/ A turned "R" (similar to U+042F
CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER YA) is sometimes used whimsically in place of
U+0052 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER R to 1) imitate children's handwriting
mistakes, e.g., in the logo of the toy store Toys "R" Us
(http://www.toyrsus.com/), or to 2) imitate "Russian", e.g., the Tetris
logo. Like with Han characters, its not only what looks similar, but also
what's considered similar...

Just yesterday, I saw some product packaging where a grave accent was used
where an acute accent was meant--no doubt, the error resulting from (US)
English speakers' general unfamiliarity with diacritics (and who'd
consider them to be optional adornments such that e = e acute = e grave).

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu