RE: Unicode and end users

From: Lars Kristan (lars.kristan@hermes.si)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 18:23:37 EST

Asmus Freytag wrote:
> Ever since MS let the cat out of the bag with notepad, the
> rush is on for
> all tools to be upgraded to handle the situation. Fine, this
> is the real
> world.
*Sigh* yes, it is. I understand why notepad needs this. For notepad, a file
is either UTF-16 or an ANSI file. Since notepad keeps the internal data in
UTF-16 (just a fair assumption here), it needs to convert. And a UTF-8 BOM
is what makes it use the UTF-8 conversion rather than an ANSI conversion.

Too bad this happened. Maybe someone at Microsoft should look into this
notepad a little bit more seriously. Was it Windows 4.0 or Windows 2000 that
updated notepad so CTRL-F started working as everywhere else? In either
case, it took a long time for such a major improvement. I wish notepad would
handle LF files (as opposed to CRLF) correctly. I wish there was "Open as"
in the file open dialog, to allow opening OEM encoded files, maybe even
UTF-8 files without BOM...

Lars Kristan