RE: Yoruba characters

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 09:48:52 EST

Omotola A. Awofolu wrote:
> - I do not know how to use diacritics in either JAVA or XML, and for
> coding with Yoruba I need to be able to use diacritics for
> some of the characters

To use Unicode combining diacritics, you simply put the required
diacritic(s) AFTER the base letter. So, say that you want to type a "q"
(code U+0071) with a tilde (code U+0303), you simply enter the two
characters in sequence: q̃.

Whether you will actually see a "q" with a tilde ON it, or AFTER it, or
perhaps even a black square in place of the tilde, depends on the kind of
font and operating system you are using.

In XML and Java you can simply enter the two characters (if the file
encoding allows to enter the tilde character), or use numerical references
for one or both characters. If I remember correctly, the format should be:

        Java: q\u0303 or \u0071\u0303
        XML: q̃ or q̃

> - I do not know which encoding would be appropriate for
> setting my code

If you use the above numerical references, any encoding is OK, including
ASCII. If you want to actually see the characters while typing the source
file, you need a Unicode editor, and you must save the file with the
encoding called "Unicode", "UTF-8", "UTF-16", or other similar labels used
in your editor.

_ Marco