RE: How to make "oo" with combining breve/macron over pair?

From: Kent Karlsson (kentk@md.chalmers.se)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 12:03:22 EST

> >The problem here is that the COMBINING GRAPHEME JOINER only affects
> >*enclosing* combining marks (and combining marks *following* an
> >enclosing one).
>
> I do not know what you mean by this. The CGJ makes what it is joining
> into a single entity. So if you add a diacritic to it, it should
> centre itself above that entity.

See http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr28/, which says:

"On the other hand, where elements are linked by a Grapheme_Link,
non-enclosing combining marks only apply to the last base character."

That sentence is followed by an example with NUKTA.

So Grapheme_links do not affect marks that are neither non-enclosing
nor (Brahmic) dependent vowels (the latter is not properly covered
by the quoted sentence, but talked about elsewhere in the Unicode 3.0
book).

If you will, "non-enclosing" combining marks bind strongly to the
last base character, while "enclosing" combining marks (which
apparently are Me + Brahmic dependent vowels, though there is
no explicit definition) apply to the grapheme cluster also when
it is created via a Grapheme_link, e.g. CGJ. (There is also a
special case for VIRAMA at the end of a word; but that is a
different detail, and I don't know how, or even if, that is
now resolved.)

                /kent k