Re: Keyboard Layouts for Office XP in WIndows 98

From: Marc Durdin (mcdlist@tavultesoft.com)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 17:55:26 EST

At 08:20 PM 9/03/2002 +0300, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
>Should we wait for Keyman 6 to type Old Persian in the same applications
>because this script is in Plane 1?

Peter's summary of Keyman 5's plane 1-16 support is not quite correct. Keyman 5 does support planes 1-16 in most circumstances (it uses UTF-32 in its keyboard description), except with WM_UNICHAR (which is not relevant under Windows 2000/XP). There are also some caveats to remember:

1. As Windows uses UTF-16 in most situations, most applications treat non-BMP characters as two separate characters for editing purposes, although the renderer in Win2k and XP can display it as the correct character. This means that two backspaces are needed, for instance, to delete the whole character. Keyman 5 uses 2 backspaces when it needs to delete characters (such as when doing character combining), as when it was released, I was not aware of any major application that handled editing surrogate pairs correctly. Keyman 6 will handle this better with Text Services Framework support.

2. The renderer for Win2k does not display surrogate pairs as a single character unless you change a registry setting. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/intl/unicode_192r.asp for further details.

3. Some of Keyman 5's more advanced functionality does support non-BMP characters correctly, including index() and any(). Keyman 6 does fix this. (I expect this is what Peter was thinking of.)

Regards,

Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft