Re: Private Use Agreements and Unapproved Characters

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 07:42:52 EST

From: "William Overington" <WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk>

> The use of this hexadecimal point technique would allow characters from
> several different character sets to be used in the same plain text file.

You do enjoy making things complicated\, William. :-)

This whole system is prety much not needed, since as a rule the people who
are interested in a particular script are not really interested in other
scripts and I cannot imagine formats like OpenType being extended to support
it (nor could I imagine a need for fonts that would support two or more
scripts via such a system).

If people need to a private agreement on the encoding, a font that uses the
PUA mappings is really all they need.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc. -- http://www.trigeminal.com/