RE: Keyboard Layouts for Office XP in Windows 98

From: Chris Pratley (chrispr@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 01:02:45 EST

Well, the standard thing to do is to degrade gracefully. You app should
run as well as it can on Win98,and run better on Win2k or WinXP. If you
encounter some UTF-16 supplementary characters, handle it with an error
message or something else, such as showing a glyph for "undisplayable
character". It's what we do. You can only force it so far.

So, the error is really "We were not able to display the Linear B text
since you are on Win98", and don't display it until you have to. That
way you can pretty much be sure no one will see the error. :-)

Cheers,
Chris

Sent with OfficeXP on WindowsXP