RE: Synthetic scripts (was: Re: Private Use Agreements and Unappr oved Characters)

From: Sampo Syreeni (decoy@iki.fi)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 11:07:17 EST

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 jarkko.hietaniemi@nokia.com wrote:

>This is true. But unless someone formally proposes the missing
>characters, they won't appear in the Unicode. Us Tolkien fans cannot be
>blamed for Japanese standards organisations, I think :-)

Precisely. There is no inherent reason why formal proposals couldn't be
submitted by anyone with expertise in a given writing system. The question
then becomes, is there a bottleneck somewhere in the allocation pipeline,
and if so, where exactly? If there is, we might argue that scripts have to
be prioritized. But..

If such a bottleneck has formed inside Unicode Consortium and/or ISO, we
have to wonder whether those organizations have the requisite capacity to
manage a standard as important as Unicode. If the bottleneck is in lacking
proposals, this cannot be used as a reason not to include synthetic
scripts which *do* have a standing proposal.

I don't really see a place for prioritization based counter-arguments wrt
inclusion of synthetic scripts in Unicode.

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy@iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111