Ladino Transliteration Of Hebrew Letters

From: Robert (bob4you27@excite.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 01:00:37 EST

Hello, Unicoders!!
About the transliteration of the Hebrew letters for the Ladino (Judeo-Spanish, Ŷuđeẑmo) language, an acceptable system for that is one used by Padre (=Father) Pascal Recuero (which looks Esperanto-like, as can be seen just below):
ʾalef—' (apostrophe)
beth-daghesh—b
beth-rafeh—{b-bar (b with crossbar through ascender)}**
————[or, use b̶ (which'll put crossbar through body instead)]
gimmel-daghesh—g
gimmel-rafeh—ǥ (g-bar [bar through descender])
gimmel-garshem—ŷ (y-circumflex)
gimmel-wariqaʾ—ĉ (c-circumflex)
daleth-daghesh—d
daleth-rafeh—đ (d-bar [bar through ascender])
heʾ—h
heʾ-mappiq—ḥ (h-underdot)
waw—ṿ (v-underdot)
double waw ligature—w, vowels /u/, /o/, or diphthongs /wu/, /wo/
waw-yudh ligature—diphthongs /uy/, /oy/, /we/
zayin—ẑ (z-circumflex)
zayin-garshem—ĵ (j-circumflex)
zayin-rafeh—dẑ (digraph of *d* with *z-circumflex*)
kheth—j
kheth-rafeh—ḫ (h-rocker [breve underneath], also called *kharn*)
teth—ṭ (t-underdot)
teth-rafeh—ḍ (d-underdot)
yudh—ẏ (y-overdot)
double yudh ligature—y, vowels /i/, /e/, or diphthongs /yi/, /ye/
yudh-waw ligature—vowels /ü/, /ö/, or diphthongs /yu/, /yo/
kaf—k
kaf-rafeh——{k-bar (k with crossbar through ascender)}**
————[or, use k̶ (which'll put crossbar through body instead)]
lamedh—l
lamedh-wariqaʾ—ĺ (l-acute)
mem-m
nun-n
nun-wariqaʾ—ñ (n-tilde)
samekh—ṣ (s-underdot)
ʿayin—c
ʿayin-rafeh—ġ (g-overdot)
ʿayin-garshem—ṅ (n-overdot)
peʾ—p
peʾ-rafeh—f
tsaddi-ts
quf-q
reʾsh—r
sin-s
shin—x
taw—t
taw-rafeh—z

This transliteration system for Ladino is based on Padre Recuero's scheme (used in a Spanish book on the Haketia dialect in Morocco); while it looks Esperanto-like in a modified Spanish-style dress, it's the best romanization scheme for Ladino that I've read and heard of.
*Kheth* is respelled , while *shin*'s rendered with , and *taw* having a *rafeh* atop gets rewritten with —all like in Spanish!! What's more—*`ayin* with a *garshem* to its left is rendered as an (and read as the *ng* nasal sound, like in _thi*ng*_).
I do hope this e-mail will help you in the area of Ladino. Please print off this message for your reference. Thank You!

Robert Lloyd Wheelock
Augusta, ME USA

**The needed characters {b-bar} and {k-bar} both need to be proposed into Unicode, along with the {y-breve} that Latin and a few other languages use. ——R.L.W.