Re: Talk about Unicode Myths...

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 01:45:50 EST

Stefan Persson <alsjebegrijptwatikbedoel@yahoo.se> wrote:

>> Only slightly more seriously, I imagine it would be possible to
>> examine the top-level domain and:
>>
>> (1) if .cn, .tw, .hk, .sg, .mo --> display URL with Chinese glyphs
>> (2) if .jp --> display URL with Japanese glyphs
>> (3) otherwise punt (browser's choice)
>
> And if someone puts a Japanese page on a .cn address, or vice
> versa...?
>
> Wouldn't it be better to use
> <META http-equiv=Content-Language content=ja>
> - and -
> <META http-equiv=Content-Language content=zh>
> to distinguish between the two glyph displaying forms?

Perhaps I misunderstood the whole discussion. I thought we were talking
about displaying a URL, not displaying the Web page located at that URL.
If all you have is a URL (e.g. http://www.example.com), then there is no
room for META tags or any other sort of external tagging. If you want
to select glyphs based on language, you must guess.

OTOH, if we are talking about displaying a page, then obviously we
should use the language-tagging facility built into HTML.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California