Re: apostrophe vs. modifier letter apostrophe

From: Mark Davis (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 10:01:43 EST

Apostrophe, hyphen, and various other puncutation by default continue
a word, but this behavior may be overriden on a per-language basis.
Heuristics or more sophisticated engines may be needed when the
apostrophe is at the end of a word, as in <the peoples' choice>, since
it is ambiguous. The modifier letter apostrophe, on the other hand, is
always treated as a letter.

This is as good a point as any to point people's attention to a new
proposed draft TR, Text Boundaries, at
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr29/. This is in the initial (proposed
draft) stage, so there is opportunity for feedback on it. Note: the
grapheme cluster update was moved here from U3.2 to allow more time
for feedback and tuning.

Mark
—————

Γνῶθι σαυτόν — Θαλῆς