Re: mnemonic input

From: Keld Jørn Simonsen (keld@dkuug.dk)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 07:09:08 EST

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 11:28:09AM +0200, Theo Veenker wrote:

> Suppose I want to enable mnemonic input in my software. Using
> mnemonics allows one to write e' (of course embedded in some
> escape sequence) instead of \u00e9 or é Which sets of
> mnemonics are being used or should I use? I found the ISO-10646
> charmap file which gives "mnemonic.ds symbolnames", but I can
> find no further references.

There is a reference for the mnemonic.ds file, there is more in
RFC 1345 (which I was the editor of). I think it reflects
some common usage at least for the Latin script. The rules for the
creation is described there.

I found it useful also for other scripts, like Arabic,
that I dont read. When I looked at some arabic locale I could suddenly
see that they have names like OKTWBR and this looked like something
I knew of! Likewise for Greek and Cyrillic scripts mnemonics helped me.

> My questions are:
> - Which mnemonic sets are available and actually used by people?

I don't know how much RFC 1345 menomics are in use, not as
much as I had hoped them to be:-) But some use is known.
Other schemes are also used, but I don't think they are as
elaborate as RFC 1345. Then we have SGML entities, but they are not
really mnemonic, in the sense that they spell out the name of the
character, like c-cedil or aelig and that makes it harder to read
as it disturbs the reading flow.

> - Are there any recommended escape sequences to enter a mnemonic
> (like &name; does for SGML character entity names)?

RFC 1345 makes it chosable, and recommends an invisible character.
'&' is common.

Best regards
keld