Re: Unicode Font Pros and Cons

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 02:29:30 EST

Maggie Yeung wrote:

> Can someone think of any other issues related to using Unicode font.

I find it mildly annoying that Outlook Express picks a font on the basis of the encoding chosen for a given message. On this list and the IDN list, a message encoded as JIS or EUC-KR or BIG5 will likely be displayed in a different font from the one used to display Latin-1 or UTF-8 messages. I'd prefer to see all plain-text messages in the same font, regardless of encoding or language.

I guess that means I'd prefer to see the same font (a Unicode font) for all text in your product.

Of course, "in a cruel world" as Signor Cimarosti would put it, we know that typographical needs and expectations are not the same worldwide, so it's not really possible to develop "a Unicode font" that will satisfy everyone.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California