Re: Unicode Font Pros and Cons

From: Thomas Chan (tc31@cornell.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 11:31:45 EST

On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Jungshik Shin wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Doug Ewell wrote:
> > Maggie Yeung wrote:
> > > Can someone think of any other issues related to using Unicode font.
> >
> > I find it mildly annoying that Outlook Express picks a font on the
> > basis of the encoding chosen for a given message. On this list and
> > the IDN list, a message encoded as JIS or EUC-KR or BIG5 will likely be
> > displayed in a different font from the one used to display Latin-1 or
> > UTF-8 messages.
>
> Did you mean that different fonts are used to render US-ASCII part
> of messages depending on the encoding used in messages, ISO-2022-JP,
> EUC-KR, Big5, ISO-8859-X, UTF-8?

If this is what was meant, then I find this annoying as well. Reading a
thread in English (ASCII) and then, because someone includes a small bit
of East Asian text and their client tags it as such (or if it's tagged
as such anyway, even with only ASCII-representable text), the font
suddenly changes from a nice proportional font to the monospaced and
uneven kind (i.e., the letters float up and down) seen in East Asian fonts
that looks worse than Courier. (I know about the fonts that have
proportional Latin glyphs, but they're still ugly.) In a mixed language
context (e.g., English/Chinese or English/Japanese), I don't mind as much,
as I appreciate the added clarity of information, but if it's really just
English-only text, then it's plain unattractive.

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu