Re: Please help: Unicode sig in Hotmail

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 11:20:52 EDT

Shlomi Tal <shlompi@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've built a UTF-8 sig for my outgoing messages:

[private response deleted]

BTW, relevant to the use of Unicode in e-mail: In my recent messages
where I tried to illustrate the UTF-7 BOM, I sneakily inserted a
no-break space (U+00A0) in the first line of the message (e.g. between
"Shlomi" and "Tal"). That way, hopefully, nobody's mail agent would
interpret the message itself as UTF-7 and decode the UTF-7 sequence
(thus hiding it).

I noticed that at least one response which quoted my "München" example
did not do the same, so when viewing the HTML-ized mail archives, IE 5.5
quite reasonably displayed the whole message in UTF-7, concealing the
example.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California