Re: Please help: Unicode sig in Hotmail

From: Shlomi Tal (shlompi@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 07:22:17 EDT

The sig is one of the situations where UTF-8 transfer hasn't worked for me.
Normally I use UTF-8 in mails to transfer texts in Hebrew and Arabic, and it
passes with no problem. I just switch IE to UTF-8 and it passes the bytes as
they should be.

Maybe those symbols are confusing the browser? As you know, the symbols
(male sign, female sign, black heart) are control characters as mapped in
CP437. Could it be the browser is interpreting them as such for
compatibility? Particularly intriguing is that the black heart causes
problems every time, because it corresponds to Control-C (interrupt).

Pity about the lack of Hotmail support for UTF-8 transfer specification.
This quite diminishes the advantage of web-based mail (not everywhere I can
use Outlook Express with my account set up...).