Re: What characters have baseline?

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 10:18:20 EDT

* John Cowan

| It is more sensible to think of fullwidth characters (Han
| ideographs, kana, Yi syllables, fullwidth Latin, hangul) as being
| laid out on a grid rather than sitting on a baseline. With the grid
| layout, each character is centered in its grid square.

Hmmm. I think I can rephrase my question, then: how do I know what
characters are fullwidth characters? Can I assume that all hanzi,
kana, yi, fullwidth latin, and hangul characters are fullwidth? Are
there any others?

Centering the grid I don't think is a problem. We can see how to do
that, the question is what characters to treat this way.