polygraphs

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 02:49:23 EDT

I doubt this has been a recent topic of discussion (I haven't been able to
read any posts from the past two weeks, so I don't actually know), but from
all those who might ever come along saying they need some digraph encoded
as an atomic character, I just came across some info based on some of the
languages of Papua New Guinea that mentioned the following attested
graphemes:

Bw, By, Bʼ, Ch, Cw, Dz, Fw, Gb, Gh, Ghw, Gl, Gw, Hl, Hr, Hw, Hy, Jw, KW,
Kh, Kl, Kp, Kw, Ky, LL, Ld, Ll, Ly, Mb, Mbw, Mm, Mp, Mpw, Mw, My, NG, Nd,
Ndr, Ng, Ngg, Nggw, Ngw, Nj, Nk, Nkw, Nky, Nn, Nq, Nr, Nt, Nty, Ny, Nz, Pw,
Py, Qw, RR, Rr, Sh, Sw, Sy, Th, Ts, Ty, Vw, Vy, bw, by, bʼ, ch, dr N, dz,
fw, gb, gh, ghw, gl, gw, hl, hr, hw, hy, jw, kg, kh, kl, kp, kw, ky, ld,
lh, ll, lt, ly, mb, mbw, mm, mp, mpw, mw, my, nG, nb, nd, ndr, ng, ngg,
nggw, ngh, ngw, nj, nk, nkw, nky, nn, nq, nr, nt, nty, nw, ny, nz, pm, pw,
py, qw, rh, rr, sh, sw, sy, th, tn, ts, tt, ty, vw, vy, wh, yl, yn, yw, ñj,
Ŋg, Ŋq, Ŋw, ŋg, ŋq, ŋw, ʔw, ʼW, ʼk, ʼm, ʼn, ʼv, ʼw, ʼy, Ḡw, ḡw

In other words, there are *lots* of these things in use out there, and we
*really* don't want to encode each one.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>