Re: Towards a classification system for uses of the Private Use Area

From: John Hudson (
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 21:39:08 EDT

At 17:12 4/27/2002, John I wrote:

>Fount is the traditional British spelling of font. Since the advent of
>digital typography, font has become pretty much universal, but older
>English sources use the spelling fount.

This is actually something that came up in the (still ongoing) typesetting
of the new book _Language Culture Type : international type design in the
age of Unicode_. One of the British contributors had used the fount
spelling in her essay, but she agreed that this would confuse most readers
today, even in Britain.

A feature article about the production of this books -- which has some
embarassingly flattering things to say about yours truly -- is online at

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks
Vancouver, BC

A dinner invitation, once accepted, is a sacred obligation.
If you die before the dinner takes place, your executor
must attend.
                               - Ward McAllister

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Sat Apr 27 2002 - 22:21:44 EDT