RE: Ie abbreviation character

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 07:32:11 EDT

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> | - Should that symbol be recognized as a Norwegian word with a
> | specific pronunciation?
>
> That would be application-dependent, I would say. Some would probably
> like to see the text as written, while others would like to see the
> "9:" replaced by "det vil si", which is what it represents.
>
> | If yes, a sequence that can be confused with something else can be
> | inappropriate for, e.g., a screen reader application.
>
> Hmmm. I wouldn't expect that to be a problem in this case.

I would, if I were a Norwegian blind person relying on my screen reader's
pronunciation to understand a text I'm reading.

In English, "i.e." should be read ['id 'est] or ['ðæt 'iz], but I think that
also ['ai 'i:] would be acceptable and understandable.

But I doubt that, in Norwegian, it would be acceptable to read "ɔ:" as ['ɔ]
or ['ɔ:] (i.e. "å" or "åå").

_ Marco