Although I'm not an expert of ASP, I've started suspecting HTMLencode
and found this:
Not sure related, though...
Among many approaches to identify the source of problem, please try this
Use OLE DB instead of ODBC to do the same operation. If you
have a problem, it is likely to be an non-database connection layer
problem, such as HTMLencode.
If you don't have a problem, I recommend you switch to OLE DB.
There are some uncontrollable issues in MSDASQL bridge for
ADO/ODBC use. Some cases can be resolved by my previous
suggestions, but most won't due to the hidden character set conversions.
----- Original Message -----
We did set nls_lang=UTF8, but still we have problem.
But does string function,server.HTMLencode work with Japanese charcters?
From: Shigé Takeda [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 4:03 PM
To: Amruthavakkula, Malini (CORP,Consultant); Peter Linsley
Subject: Re: Japanese sites with shift-jis
You might have to set the "Force to return SQL_WCHAR" for ADO/ODBC
It would be best for you to set NLS_LANG to .UTF8 for ASP node.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Amruthavakkula, Malini (CORP,Consultant)"
To: "Peter Linsley" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 12:23 PM
Subject: RE: Japanese sites with shift-jis
| Hi Peter,
| We use oracle drivers for ODBC on webserver which is IIS5.0.
| Once the data is inserted in database and when we fetch back and look for
| string length using ln() function in the ASP Page, it doesn't give us the
| right output. Eventhough the characters stored are three, it shows the
| string lenth as six. Also it doesn't work with mid(),split() functions.
| Thanks in advance,
| -----Original Message-----
| From: Peter Linsley [mailto:email@example.com]
| Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 3:09 PM
| To: Amruthavakkula, Malini (CORP,Consultant)
| Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
| Subject: Re: Japanese sites with shift-jis
| There is no difference between Oracle on NT and Oracle on Solaris as far
| database character encoding support is concerned. It would be interesting
| to know more about your scenario such as where the string manipulation
| are being called etc.
| For more information take a look at the "Building Multilingual.." paper on
| following site:
| On Wed, 29 May 2002, Amruthavakkula, Malini (CORP,Consultant) wrote:
| > Hi All,
| > we are in the process of launching a website in Japanese. We are using
| > charset in all our ASP pages to shift-jis.
| > Data insertion and retrieval goes fine, but the regular string function
| > not giving proper results with the data inserted in database.
| > We use oracle8i with charset = utf-8. Also server.HTMLencode doesn't
| > Our database is running on Solaris.
| > Does it make any difference whether the database is on NT or Solaris.
| > Any experience with this kind of set up for website, pls. reply back,
| > looking forward for more suggestions.
| > Thanks
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Wed May 29 2002 - 17:26:57 EDT