Re: Unicode and the digital divide.

From: Tom Gewecke (tom@bluesky.org)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 14:21:33 EDT

>I am not aware of any character assignments, official or PUA, gaining
>widespread usage through this approach. AFAIK, one of the reasons for
>creating the ConScript Unicode Registry was to give font designers a
>semi-standard place to put, say, Tengwar glyphs; but if that practice
>has caught on in the case of specialized fonts used by Tolkein fans, it
>certainly has *not* caught on in the mainstream.

To prove this point, I'm not aware of any Tengwar font using the Conscript
points aside from Code2001. And I know only 2 experimental web pages that
use them. It certainly does not appear to have caught on even with "fans."

>Suppose that someone has access to a PC which has Windows 95 or Windows 98
>and has Microsoft Word 97 installed.

I'm a Mac user, so I'm not familiar with these systems. Would they ever
have Unicode capabilities, display or input, of the type William is
suggesting would be required for his use of the PUA? I had the impression
one would probably need Win2k/XP or Mac OS X to do such things, even if you
wanted to.

The key point about the "divide" is exactly that made by John Jenkins: