Re: Hong Kong Supplementary Character Set

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 18:30:03 EDT

On Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at 03:32 PM, Steve Watt wrote:

> Could someone explain the relationship of the two tags, kIRG_HSource and
> kHKSCS in the unihan.txt file on the Unicode site?

Basically (at the moment), kIRG_HSource is a subset of kHKSCS. They also
come via different routes. kIRG_HSource is a listing of those characters
where the HKSAR submitted source information to the IRG. So far, all
these are in HK SCS, but we can't guarantee this will be the case in the
future. The latter comes via the HKSAR's official mapping tables.

> What would be the
> approved way to create a conversion table from Windows 950 (with HKSCS)
> to Unicode?

Er, doesn't MS provide one somewhere?

John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com