Re: Chess symbols, ZWJ, Opentype and holly type ornaments.

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 09:27:44 EDT

On 06/20/2002 03:54:52 AM "William Overington" wrote:

>Suppose that one wishes to produce a chess diagram in a Unicode compliant
>manner in a document produced using Word 97 running on either a Windows 95
>platform or a Windows 98 platform, with a view also to save the document
as
>plain text.

What makes you assume it should be possible to represent chess diagrams as
plain text? Should I be able to represent a diagram of a particular
configuration on a Go board as plain text? A diagram of four bridge hands?
A diagram of a Monopoly board? What about a diagram of the wiring in your
car? If you want something that looks like plain text and is capable of
representing diagrams of this sort, SVG would be an excellent choice.

>One way to do that would be to use a chess fount which is
>mapped to my collection of code points for a chess fount. I would be
>interested to know of how, if at all, that could be done in a document
>produced using Word 97 running on either a Windows 95 platform or a
Windows
>98 platform using regular Unicode or XML.

Bitmaps of various formats can be embedded in a Word 97 document when
running on Win9x. Sorry, it doesn't take either Unicode or XML to do it.

(BTW, your post was reasonably short, so I actually read it. There's
progress!)

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>