Re: Rotated Glyphs

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 12:32:35 EDT

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Frank da Cruz wrote:

> As part of the release, I made some screen shots showing text in many
> languages and writing systems on the same terminal screen:
>
> http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/glass.html
>
> The CJK examples were so crowded I didn't notice until James Kass pointed it
> out that they were also sideways! Windows had rotated each glyph 90 degrees
> counterclockwise. But when another font is used (bottom of same page) the
> same glyphs (e.g. Japanese Kana) are upright.

 In all cases where CJK characters are rotated, note that the names of
fonts begin with '@'. I don't know exactly how it works, but under
MS-Windows, fonts whose name begin with '@' have their CJK characters
rotated by 90 degrees(for use in vertical writing). Try to use 'Andale
Mono WT J' instead of '@Andale Mono WT J' and CJK characters should be
rendered upright.

 Jungshik Shin