Re: Chess symbols

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 08:13:01 EDT

I had written:

> Viewing a chess-board in plain text, I deem an unrealistic
> expectation.

Which was not exactly what I meant :-(
Now, let me explain.

Marco Cimarosti wrote:
> Why? All one needs is a CJK non-proportional font:

The meaning of plain text ought not depend on the usage of a
particular font; hence, two-dimensional arrays are ill suited for
plain text, as these depend on a fixed-width font.

Granted that we are all used to associate plain-text with fixed-
width fonts (because of the decades we had only cell-array dis-
plays), the above statement may be a bit too puristic...

Marco:

This is one of the possibilities I had in mind, when I wrote:
> The background shading is a mere matter of style, and does not
> contribute to the semantic content of the chess situation; the
> alternating background colours are only an aid for the eye.

However, the remainder of my contribution was really about Word's
treatment of Unicode text; and that program does not carry the
table structure over to the plain text, so you will rather get
something like
   ♜
   ♞
   ♝
   ♚
   ♛
   ♝
   ♞
   ♜
   ♟
   ♟
   ♟
   ♟
   ♟
   ♟
   ♟
   ♟
   ((40 empty lines))
   ♖
   ♘
   ♗
   ♕
   ♔
   ♗
   ♘
   ♖

I had also written:
> White to move and checkmate in 5 moves. (Sam Lloyd)

Actually, it's checkmate in 4 moves. Can you find the
solution?

Marco also wrote:

> 2. Shades only, no grid:

> #♖# ♘ #♗# ♕ #♔# ♗ #♘# ♖
> #### #### #### ####

> 3. Both shades and grid:

To me, this shows that plain text really cannot acccommodate shades:
I hardly see the chess pieces amongst the number signs. As said be-
fore, shades belong to the realm of styles/markup.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz