Vim 6 - int'l support on any Windows platform!

From: Shlomi Tal (shlompi@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 05:33:21 EDT

Hello Unicoders!

I've just done a test run of Vim (vi improved) version 6.1 on a localized
Hebrew MS-Windows 98 Second Edition.

I use Vim on my own Win2K machine, but I had no surprises that it should
work there, because Win2K supports Unicode throughout. However, it was on
the Hebrew Win2K that I got a real uplift: by setting the encoding to UTF-8
and changing the keymap, I could write not just English, not even also
Hebrew, but also unsupported (for that platform) languages such as Greek and
Russian! Saving to a file naturally wrote down the international characters
in UTF-8.

What a good way to get more international support on a system when you need
it. Kudos to Bram Moolenaar and all the other Vim programmers.