Re: Chromatic font research

From: Daniel Yacob (unicode@geez.org)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 12:55:56 EDT

> of the uses have a cultural and sometimes religious significance I felt that
> it would be respectful to those situations to use a purely ornamental

In the ethiopic case it is 1362 (four dots like ::) interlaced with 5 red dots
in the sign of the cross that is the most common. This is 9 dots altogether
and at a glance looks like a colorful paragraph separator. Any punctuation
or numeral may receive extra flourishes of red (1364 receives red strokes
about as often), there is no semantic impact on the character. It is a practice
relegated by and large to religious works, scribes themselves have told me that
they have no rhyme nor reason for why they've made one character or word red in
one sentence and not the next -save for possible subliminal divine inspiration
at that particular instant :)

The capability to the same electronically would be well received.

/Daniel