Re: Japanese Web pages in Unicode?

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 18:14:22 EDT

> It seems to me that the Japanese prefer to use Shift-JIS or EUC-JP to
> Unicode in their Web pages. Why on earth is this?
> I have a bilingual Japanese / English page in Unicode. Are there other
> Japanese-language pages in Unicode?
>
> Is it true that Unicode can do anything that a native Japanese encoding can
> do, and do it better, with maybe the exception that hankaku katakana take
> up twice as many bytes?

Besides the other comments already made, I would not presume the
Japanese code pages to be a preference, any more than Americans and
Europeans prefer ISO8859-1. It is the default used by most tools to
produce html in that country. So rather than being an active preference
it is a default that is not deficient enough to bother to override with
unicode.

Instead we should ask the vendors why they default to these code pages
for WRITING web pages.
The default code page for creating new pages should be different than
the default setting used to override unlabeled web pages that are being
read. Of course it should be Unicode for writing.

Making e-Business Work Around the World