Re: FW: Inappropriate Proposals FAQ

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 13:15:07 EDT

Suzanne T asked:

> Can people from the review committee give me some hard and fast
> rules for when something is thrown out?

There's only one hard and fast rule that I know: when a majority of UTC
members vote to NOT encode something.

I think the criteria that UTC representatives use to determine their votes
would be along the lines of Suzanne's checklist. She might be able to come
up with a list of questions such that some specific negative or positive
answers would lead one to the conclusion that it is or isn't worth
submitting a proposal for some specified thing.

One rule of thumb that people can also use: if an off-the-cuff proposal
for a thing doesn't fly on the Unicode list, it is unlikely to fly in UTC.

        Rick