RE: unicode Digest V2 #166

From: Michael Jansson (mjan@em2-solutions.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 04:44:04 EDT

> From: =?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCJG0hOyE7ITshOxsoQiAbJEIkbSE7ITshOxsoQg==?=
> Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 22:20:06 -0400
> >
> > > http://fairy.em2-solutions.com/userfiles/morisawa/rll500.html
> >
> I loaded the beginning of that document, and it looks like
> just a bunch of
> characters from the start of a list of characters in
> "aiueo-jun" (Japanese
> "alphabetical order"). Not a real "document",

Nobody said that this page contains anything but 500 Japanese characters in
alphabetical order (it's a test page for a font from a Japanese font
vendor). If you want to look at a page with real content, then have a look
at:
http://fairy.em2-solutions.com/unicode/translations/japanese.html

> Is what you want something like what you can find at
> www.shodouka.com? Like
> if you are trying to view your message board on an American library
> computer and all you get is mojibake instead of a Japanese message.
> Shodouka will display images for text.

Cool stuff. It didn't seem to work for me though (heavy load?). Also, this
is not a very practical or efficient solutions. If a browser do support web
fonts, then it's a more efficient solutions than converting everything into
images. The pages can not be search etc. It would take a modem users hours
to view a single pages because of all the images (the images may easily
amount to several MB for a typical page).