Re: (long) Re: Chromatic font research

From: Michael Everson (
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 13:12:38 EDT

At 19:36 +0300 2002-07-04, John Hudson wrote:

>This is not Mac-only behaviour. So far I have yet to see a single
>OpenType font that uses the ZWJ to produce ligatures: they all
>proceed on the basis of applying a layout feature to regular text
>and affecting any sequence (e.g. f i) found in the feature coverage
>table in the font. Ironically, inserting a ZWJ in such a sequence is
>more likely to break a ligature than it is to form one.

A Runic OT font will want to use ZWJ and not another protocol.

I confess that when typesetting books for publication I do replace fi
with the hardcoded Mac Roman ligature because Quark doesn't seem to
do the replacement itself even if the option is turned on. This in
itself wrecks searching operations.

Michael Everson *** Everson Typography ***