RE: unicode Digest V2 #167

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 17:37:07 EDT

    At 08:58 PM 7/4/02 +0200, Michael Jansson wrote:
    > > Michael Everson wrote:
    > > There was a Hawai'ian version of Netscape 4. Anyway all Hawai'ians
    > > have to do is make their web pages with UTF-8 using the characters
    > > they need.
    >
    >No they can't. Anyone using a modern browser on a modern OS would *still*
    >not be able to read Hawaiians text, because they may not have a Hawaiian
    >font. To support such a (simple) language on the web, you need web fonts.

    Then install a bloody font! It's a matter of dragging it into the right
    folder on Windows and the Macintosh; I think XP will let you left click
    on the font and select Install from there. How much easier can it get?
    (All recent versions of Linux have a Hawaiian font installed, by default.)
    Anyone who needs 24/7 net access should either buy a laptop (if they have
    real needs) or learn what a vacation is _for_.