RE: The pointless thread continues

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 16:38:44 EDT

Michael Everson wrote:
> At 16:58 +0200 2002-07-05, Marco Cimarosti wrote:
> >Michael Everson wrote:
> >> Then your average Internet user should bloody well learn how
> >> to use a computer.
> >
> >Being able to use a computer does not teach you how to
> install a font which
> >doesn't exist, or which you cannot afford.
>
> Your point?

Many people know how to install a font on their computer, but they simply
have no font to install. Or no computer where to install it: you cannot
install your fonts in an Internet café.

One cannot condemn things like web fonts when there is no better solution
available. It's like asking people not to eat food because it can transmit
cholera -- how's cholera worse than starvation?

And I am not convinced that a better solution is behind the corner: I've
been reading this mailing list for years now, and the same problems keep
popping up all the time.

One more FAQ will not fix the problem: Unicode is not yet a reality in India
because current implementation strategies are too expensive and complicated
for that market. IMHO.

Therefore, I don't consider pointless or off-topic discussing ways to make
Unicode implementation simpler (as far as it remains Unicode, of course).

_ Marco