Re: The pointless thread continues

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 18:44:39 EDT

On Friday, July 5, 2002, at 08:54 AM, John Hudson wrote:

> Actually, this isn't nonsense. A single buggy font is quite capable of
> crashing an operating system. Obviously the damage is not permanent,
> presuming one is able to get the system started in safe mode and remove
> the offending font. I've seen some spectacularly nasty fonts over the
> years, as have many of my colleagues (including engineers in the type
> group at Apple, so this isn't simply a Windows issue).

C'est vrai. One of the fonts we used to print Unicode 2.0 killed *all*
text display on the system if it were to be used with ATSUI. It was kind
of cool, actually. We actually have a "font zoo" stashed away full of
pathological fonts which have been known to do all kinds of interesting
things if someone should be foolish enough to install them.

John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jenkins@mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/jenkins/