Re: [OpenType] Proposal: Ligatures w/ ZWJ in OpenType

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Sun Jul 07 2002 - 19:02:02 EDT

On Saturday, July 6, 2002, at 04:11 PM, John Hudson wrote:

> There are going to be documents containing this character -- and ZWNJ --
> and fonts that do not contain these characters may display them with
> .notdef glyphs. The only solution is system or application intelligence
> that is able to ensure that no attempt is made to display glyphs for
> these characters. This issue seems to have already been resolved in MS
> text processing, at least as far as I have tested it in WordPad. I have
> inserted a ZWJ character in a string of text using a standard PS Type 1
> font, and the character is treated as a zero-width, no outline control
> character.

Well, by default no attempt is made to display glyphs for these characters.
   (Somebody may have a "show invisibles" or equivalent on. BTW, does OT
have a "show invisibles" feature? I'm too lazy to check right now.) We
also have a list of "invisible" characters which should, ordinarily, be
left undisplayed including ZWJ, ZWNJ, the bidi overrides, and so on.

John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jenkins@mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/jenkins/