TrueType signature bits

From: Raymond Mercier (RaymondM@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Jul 14 2002 - 14:44:04 EDT

[second posting - first one got lost?]

As part of the TrueType font signature up to 128 bits are set to mark the
unicode ranges covered by the font.
What is the latest assignment ?
As far as I know it goes up to bit 83, with bits 8, 12, 14, 27, 58, 84-127
reserved.
What about the higher planes ? Are no bits set to cover this ?
Apparently the Unicode consortium is not concerned with this, and one has
to go the Microsoft site to see how the bits are assigned.
I have used these sites :
For the ranges:
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/blocks.txt,
for the bits:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/OTSpec/OS2.htm.

The tail end of the listing, as far as I can fix it, is as follows :
                                 bit
2800 28FF Braille Patterns 82
A000 A48F Yi Syllables 83
10300 1032F Old Italic
10330 1034F Gothic
10400 1044F Deseret
1D000 1D0FF Byzantine Musical Symbols
1D100 1D1FF Musical Symbols
1D400 1D7FF Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols
20000 2A6DF CJK Unified Ideographs Extension B
2F800 2FA1F CJK Compatibility Ideographs Supplement
E0000 E007F Tags
F0000 FFFFF Supplementary Private Use Area-A
100000 10FFFF Supplementary Private Use Area-B

Raymond Mercier