Re: Unicode Devanagari Font in Mozilla

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 07:14:00 EDT

From: "Michael Jansson" <mjan@em2-solutions.com>

> > James Kass wrote:
> > The best way to render a Devanagari page is with Unicode encoding
> > and smart font technology. With an up-to-date version of the
> > Uniscribe software installed, Devanagari can be properly displayed
> > even on Win 9x, as long as the browser uses the Uniscribe engine.
>
> You need to be careful when using Uniscribe on Win9x. Installing certain
> Indic fonts and Uniscribe on unsupported platforms (Win9x) will
> unfortunately corrupt these systems. The problem is that Win9x will
> misbehave when seeing fonts without code page support, such as Indic fonts
> with no Latin characters.

This is a new one. Is this documented?

There are Indic fonts without Latin coverage. The solution is not
to throw away the Uniscribe, but to throw away those Indic fonts
which lack Latin glyphs. What the heck good would those Indic fonts
be without Uniscribe's OpenType support? Couldn't display Indic
right and lacking ASCII...

(In other words, if a font is developed and licensed only for WinNT
applications, what's it doing on a Win 9x system in the first place?)

I'm running Win ME as the main system here and have a W2K system
just for testing. I've been running the most advanced versions of
Uniscribe on my Windows 9x platforms for years with no problem.

Indeed, on the main system here with the updated Uniscribe installed,
Indic scripts like Bengali, Gurmukhi, and Tamil display well, with
correct ligature substitutions and proper vowel reordering. This works
in Unicode-aware applications which use the Uniscribe such as Microsoft
Outlook Express and Microsoft Internet Explorer.

On this Win 9x system here, I can even display non-BMP characters,
thanks to the newest Uniscribe.

Best regards,

James Kass.