Re: User interface for keyboard input

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 01:13:59 EDT

Otto Stolz <Otto dot Stolz at uni dash konstanz dot de> wrote:

>> - although we can take it for granted that you have not
>> got a keyboard with Greek letters enabled,
>
> Why not? It's so easy, in contemporary Windows versions.
> Why shouldn't I install a couple of keyboard layouts for the scripts
> I am going to type, on my Windows system?

If you really are going to type Greek from time to time, enough to have
installed the Greek keyboard and learned how to use it (e.g. where's
omega?), this is clearly the best solution. It's not worth the effort
if you only need an alpha twice a year.

> I'd rather by surprised if some application program expected me to do
> it in some other way. I deem uniform user-interface a very important
> feature; so if a system offers a feasable way to do something,
> applications should exploit it rather than offering their own,
> contrasting solutions.

I agree completely, a uniform solution is much better than 5 different
applications providing 5 different proprietary solutions. I think the
needs of the casual, occasional user of Greek are different from those
of the regular user, though. I'm all for installable keyboards, but
still believe there should be a way to generate any arbitrary Unicode
character using any arbitrary keyboard.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California