Re: How to type sporadic Unicode (was: User interface for keyboard input)

From: Martin Kochanski (unicode@cardbox.net)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 08:36:26 EDT

One of the nice things about this mailing list is that one gets answers from the horse's mouth!

I appreciate the clarification; but it does (for my purposes, as a mere software designer) reduce ISO/IEC 14755 to a sort of Platonic form whose shadow in the real world we have still to find - or, to sound more computerish, to a sort of abstract class that still needs implementation. Very nearly anything (it seems to me) could act as the beginning sequence or the ending sequence.

[Of course, I may be being confused here: standards, like patents, are written in a very specific form].

There are infinitely many possible beginning and ending sequences, so in principle every program in the world could use a different one and still conform to ISO/IEC 14755.

I do not mean this to say that the standard is useless. Quite apart from the use of the space as meaning "finish the last character and start a new one", which is useful and something I hadn't thought of, it does neatly exclude the worse variants of Alt+X, which essentially say "Beginning sequence = <do nothing>, Ending sequence=Alt+X", and are thus open to the CACF9 problem.

For software that is intended for non-programmers, I would suggest that any useful implementation of ISO/IEC 14755 should include, as a permissible ending sequence, "Take your hands off the keyboard". Programmers are used to the idea of modal toggles, but non-programmers aren't (think of Shift Lock) and the proprioceptive feedback of "I am holding down a key, therefore I am in a mode" is indispensable.

But I'm worried whether ISO/IEC 14755 will ever take hold. Microsoft are bigger than you are, and de facto standards are more powerful than de jure ones. I know that some Microsoft people hang out on here: could any of them be coaxed out of their discreet silence?