Re: ZWJ and Latin Ligatures

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 09:48:35 EDT

On 07/18/2002 08:18:40 PM Eric Muller wrote:

>Actually, the goal of "easily add shapping for a new orthography" and
>the goal of "do not duplicate in all fonts what really belongs to an
>orthography" are not as incompatible as we paint them. For example,
>there could a be plug-in mechanism (and those plug-ins could be written
>in a special-purpose language) for Uniscribe.

Indeed, that's true. And we wouldn't be at all upset if Uniscribe supported
plug-ins.

Part of the design spec for Graphite did allow the state machine to reside
in a file other than the font. This hasn't yet been implemented, but is on
the list of possible additions.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>