Re: [OpenType] Proposal: Ligatures w/ ZWJ in OpenType

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 12:27:35 EDT

Hm, playing advocatus diabolus for a moment, or maybe ignoramus depending on your opinion...

Asmus taught me something about German, so I wonder how many Germans are aware of the ligature rules and would (and do!) object to standard ligatures being used by default.

For that matter, I am not sure how many Germans (>5 years out of school) know hyphenation rules and such other than by gut feel.

Disclaimer: I am German but
- was (am) not familiar with any ligature/typesetting rules
- did not have any training in Latin (might explain my intro)

markus