Abstract character?

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 15:59:45 EDT

I'm trying to find out what an abstract character is. I've been
looking at chapter 3 of Unicode 3.0, without really achieving
enlightenment.

The term Unicode scalar value (apparently synonymous with code point)
seems clear. It is the identifying number assigned to assigned
Unicode characters.

So far, so good. Some questions:

 - are all assigned Unicode characters also abstract characters?

 - it seems that not all abstract characters have code points (since
   abstract characters can be formed using combining characters). Is
   that correct?

 - do <U+00C5> (Å) and <U+0041, U+030A> (A followed by combining ring
   above) represent the same abstract character?

Would be good if someone could clear this up.