Morse encoding (was: "Re: Codes for codes for codes for...")

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 21:36:18 EDT

On 2002.07.10, 17:06, Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com> wrote:

> Depends on your font. Middle dot and hyphen possibly.

It looks best on some rounded fonts, like Vag. But in regular fonts
(both sans and serif) a middle dot and a hyphen (or em dash, or en dash,
or minus, etc) look respectively like

(_) [_____]

while it would be visually more pleasing, especially at larger point
sizes, either something like

[_] [_____]

or

(_) (_____)

Note that a more or less correct (content) display of the morse symbols
depends on the typeface used (presentation), and probably this should
not be so.

Changing this would require IMHO either somekind of "minimum dash", as
wide as thick, or a "dash with round corners", short of the introduction
of two new symbols, "morse dot" and "morse dash".

Please, dont flame me, I'm a newbie, a well-intended lurker ~8-o

-- ____.
António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
<antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
R. Laureano de Oliveira, 64 r/c esq. |
PT-1885-050 MOSCAVIDE (LRS) Não me invejo de quem tem |
+351 917 511 549 carros, parelhas e montes |
http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |