Re: Dublin Conference: Re: ISO/IEC 10646 versus Unicode

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 12:36:21 EDT

Arsa Doug Ewell:
> Unicode does not create, or even certify or register, implementations of
> its standard. I have been paying attention to Unicode for 10 years now,
> at least casually, and I have never seen anything from the Unicode
> Consortium that gave me the impression they were in the implementation
> business. Member companies, yes, but not the Consortium.

I only saw it as the simple equation "Membercomany1 + Membercompany2 =
Consortiumcompany" (that is, the sum of its individual members), with
relevant new sw packages/upgrades promoted by Unicode members as just
that: as approved implementations of the standard they 'consort' to
create, and for there to be a growing registry to match, but I see now
that was either wishful thinking, or thinking too far ahead, which can
often happen.
mg

--
Marion Gunn * E G T (Estab.1991) vox: +353-1-2839396 * mgunn@egt.ie
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn; Baile an Bhóthair; Contae Átha Cliath; Éire