Re: Tamil Text Messaging in Mobile Phones

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 11:17:42 EDT

From: "John Cowan" <jcowan@reutershealth.com>

> I agree. Instead of talking of visual order, we should instead talk of
> Western-Imperialist order.

We do not need to redefine terms here. The term "logical order" is refering
to a backend store that matches the way a user of the script might read
it/write it/think about it. The term "visual order" is referring to the
older usage of a backend store that is laid out in the order that it might
appear in a DOS console.

We can argue for 20 messages about the need to change the terms, but I
trhink we understand each other -- perhaps something offtopic deserves less
time? :-)

Linear Tamil is not a script reform, and it is not an attempt to change the
way that Tamil is used except in the way that it is encoded in Unicode -- it
is inspired by a desire to avoid re-ordering and such, for the sake of
legacy systems that do not have the capability.

Please note that for these systems the solution has always been to use the
legacy encodings (TAM/TAB/TSCII) and no one else has expressed interest in
bringing Unicode to Windows 95 (for example). Most of the Tamil community
involved in these efforts looks at Unicode as the future, and they look at
either TAB or TSCII as the past and present.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc. -- http://www.trigeminal.com/