Re: logical order

From: Jonathan Coxhead (jonathan@doves.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 16:05:16 EDT

   The way these concepts were explained to me was as "visual order" (the order
as you see it with your eyes, as defined by the writing system) and "aural
order" (the order you hear it with your ears, as defined by pronunciation of
the spoken language).

   Neither of these is more or less logical than the other, it seems to me, but
maybe the above could be the basis of a clearer definition of "logical order"
(= aural order)?

   Visual order is easier to render, and aural order is easier for almost
everything else (such as sorting, text-to-speech). So people at the "rendering"
end of the IT industry prefer visual order, and everyone else (including those
not in the IT industry at all) prefers aural order.

   On 26 Jul 2002, at 22:59, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Michael (michka) Kaplan wrote:
>
> > We do not need to redefine terms here. The term "logical order" is refering to
> > a backend store that matches the way a user of the script might read it/write
> > it/think about it.
>
> While we're at it, would anyone please consider replacing the Unicode
> definition of *logical order* with some definition like the above one? The
> current definition which refers to 'the way a user enters the character sequence
> through a keyboard', really sucks, and does not mean much. If I redefine an
> input method, am I redefining logical order?!

        /|
 . . . (_|/ o n a t h a n
        /|
       (_/